Thursday, April 10, 2014

NOTA option barely impresses voters in Delhi LS polls

NOTA option barely impresses voters in Delhi LS polls

Although hailed as a historic
electoral reform, the None of The Above (NOTA) option did not
find many takers during the general elections in the national
capital today.
As Delhi witnessed a tripartite electoral battle between
BJP, Congress and Aam Aadmi Party, there were many voters who
seemed disenchanted with the candidates but still chose not to
tap the newly included NOTA button considering it as a
"wastage of vote".
On being asked about its relevance, a female voter in
Laxmi Nagar said, "We could have stayed back at home instead
of coming here to vote. I am not standing in this queue to go
and press the NOTA button. It is useless."
Rishi, a 24-year-old first time voter lacked the vigour
of a quintissential first timer and said, "I am disappointed
with the political system of our country. I am not even
excited to cast my first ever Lok Sabha vote.
"I know I will be wasting my vote, but NOTA is weighing
over my mind as I enter the polling station because I don't
think NOTA would make a difference," he said before casting
his vote at Kutcha Natwa in Chandni Chowk constituency.
The Supreme Court in its direction on September 27 last
provided NOTA option on the Electronic Voting Machine and
ballot papers so that the electors who do not want to vote for
any of the candidates can exercise this option in secrecy.
The apex court's judgement was first implemented after
the option was made available in the Assembly polls in five
states last year, including Delhi.
While the general trend in Chandni Chowk and East Delhi
constituency outrightly dubbed the new option as "wastage of
voting power" and termed it "stupid", NOTA found a handful
takers in South Delhi and New Delhi constituencies.
"I don't want NOTA because when I came to the polling
station I know which party to vote for. If you have a choice
then why waste the vote," said Shiv Sahay Gupta, 59, who voted
in South Delhi constituency.
"I got to know about the NOTA option from various
campaigns and also through newspapers. But I didn't exercise
it beceause I believe using that option is like boycotting the
elections," said Sunanada, a Delhi University student.

No comments:

Post a Comment